Thursday, December 11, 2008

A years worth of reviews

So I'm gonna try to make up for a lack of posting for a entire year, but tis keyboard is a pain in the thumbs so you get what ya get.

First up for the DS... Rune Factory 2 is inferior to RF1 in every way. Just avoid it.
Ummm....for the PSP...avoid Lord of the rings Tactics...Final Fantasy tactics almost does what the original did for me...Dungeons and Dragons Tactics at least offers relatively good character customization. The final verdict on a years worth of PSP tactical rpg's ? Disgea: Afternoon of Darkness. I had my doubts about this game, but it delivered. Loads of content and customization... you can spend hours upgrading a single weapon. It's funny too... really funny... dood.
On the wii- Zack and Wiki, hells yes.
And the winner of game of the year....drumroll....
Persona 3. This game has made my top 3 rpg's of all time alongside FF7 (SILENCE fanboy haters!) and Dragon Quest 8. I have put 100 hours into this game in a month and I'm still 10 hours from the good ending and still have a 20+ hour epilogue to look forward to. This is the only rpg I have ever found that is rated M (Dude, I checked, Xenogears was T... I thought you were right though), but the only real reason I see for that is that every spell and skill cast by a character is evoked by shooting themselves in the head. Edgy? Yes... and a bit disturbing at how de-sensitized you'll become. It's put out by Atlus, and for some, that is the only endorsement needed. For everyone else, it can best be described as a rpg dungeon crawler/ high school simulator. If you like rpg's, go for this one. If you are interested in playing a game that is really unlike any other rpg (that I know of) give it a look. After ten hours you'll either be hooked, or you will see it isn't for you. Anyway, this game gets my highest reco.
Outside the world of videogames?
?
Oh yes...that world...umm...
True Blood turned out to be a really good show. I'm still reading Richard Matheson and he rules. The Twilight series was shallow, contrived and stereotypical...and I read them all in about a week. I also started watching Supernatural. Good show...gets better with each season. I also finally watched The Salton Sea, a movie suggested by a movie fan who I don't believe frequents here, way back when I was in Auburn. Very good film. Certainly worth a view. That's all I have for now. Remember.... Persona 3:FES. The FES is important.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You don't have a gaming pc, do you? Cause, if you did, Left 4 Dead is one of the best zombie-killin' games ever, and I know how you love to kill the zombies.

4:20 PM  
Blogger BigX said...

Oh yeah I do...
I might be getting something moderately hardy as a replacement for the posessed vaio, but it depends on the specs. I usually buy pc's with the intention of playing the previous generations titles, as the hardware and software end up costing half as much. I'm actually looking forward to some half life 2 and oblivion...although if I dont play mass effect soon I might start to get antsy...I can make the main character look like me!! I love that kind of crap. Oh...and Medieval Total War 2. Longbowman kick ass.

The only PC game I have played in the past year is civ 4, which is obviously quite good. I built up the greek empire, cornerned all uranium sources, sent my peoples to a galaxy far far away... and then nuked the entire world. Civilization.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xenogears was a T? doh...guess the reviewer didn't take the time to actually get into the plot and discover the overt religious references...but at least they must have seen the naked chick with long hair at the beginning.

Anyway - if I may add to the list I would mention...
damn - haven't done much this year
would Darkon count? great doc on LARP. Highly recommended

-dude

2:15 PM  
Blogger BigX said...

Yeah they almost banned it in the states outright due to the religious stuff, but it didn't stick. I also think it would have been hasty to slap an M on it for a little girl butt, and it is important to remember that this was back when the M rated games were fewer...then they are...today.

I thought of a new question for the are you a geek quiz. If someone says LARP and you know what they are talking about. You LARP Dude? When did this happen?? I need details man!

2:47 PM  
Blogger killajulz said...

Glad to know that Rune Factory 2 sucks; I am still playing the first even though it sorta sucks now that I am married and can't chase the ladies anymore. I decided to marry Sharron. Who did you pick? haha.

I have looked at the "I am Legend" graphic novel and it looks pretty cool. I have read the book as well and I agree that the movie does it no respect.

I wouldn't rush to get the Ender's Game comics and instead get them when they come out in compilation form as you had mentioned. I think I went a little "fangirl" there for awhile, but I am reading "Ender in Exile" at the moment so I was a little excited.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home